Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eagle Scouts



I have been pondering the Boy Scouts of America’s ban on gay membership and leadership.   Being part of the LGBT community I take it to heart that they are discriminating against a selected class of people. 
I have been watching the movement on how more and more Eagle Scouts are renouncing there Eagle Scout Awards.   This is a very powerful statement I think, and I am hoping that BSA is not taking this lightly.  I think that currently only 5% of the boys will obtain an Eagle Scout award.   For these boys it involves a lot of time and dedication and huge amount of work.  The boys must have been in some form of leadership, earn 21 different merit badges,  plan and work a service project for the award, and make it through a board of review.    This is why I say that renouncing ones Eagle Scout Award is a big deal.

As an Eagle Scout I personally don’t know where I sit on renouncing the Eagle Scout Award.   I have 2 differing views on the situation.
My first view is that by renouncing my Eagle Scout I am making a onetime statement to the BSA.  I am not sure at this point how effective it is to the organization.
My second though is to not renounce it and try to become more actively involved in the organization and groups to try to make positive changes in the BSA policies.
Being an Eagle Scout has given me the strength and courage and skills, to drive through so many of life’s though roads.   

Being a trans women I don’t talk that much about my scouting experiences now, but it has given my great usable life skills that I have used throughout my adult life and continue to use to this day.   I think that every boy should have that chance regardless of their sexuality or gender.


1 comment:

  1. You are right EVERY boy should have a chance. No matter race, size or if they are gay or not!

    ReplyDelete