Monday, February 27, 2012

Acceptance

As my spouse Tina and I were walking today I was pondering the way my parents acceptance of me.  Sadly my relationship with them and many other family members is just a shell of one.  There is no substance to it at all.  We talk about the weather, how my job is doing and maybe how the kids are doing and that is as about as far as it gets.  It is sad that I have not been able to share the joys and sorrows of life with them.   For many years Tina and I have had to hide the issues of being transgender. Like many people in the LBGT community we face such harsh judgment from the ones that we love for being different in the eyes of the mainstream Christian community.    So over the last four years Tina and the girls seen so many changes and we can’t even share one of them with my parents.   I have been truly blessed though that Tina and the girls have been so supportive on this wonderful journey in life. 

As I ponder how I should handle my relationship with my parents I came across this passage in the bible.
Romans 15:7 “Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.” (NASB)
I think that I need to look hard into myself and accept that they will never accept me for the person that I am, and accept them for who they are.  If that mean only a shell of conversations then that’s ok I am still showing them the love of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment