Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where do we learn to hate?

In the news lately there sure have been a lot of sad stories about how another transwoman was murdered and another teen committed suicide for not fitting in.  When is it going to be enough of this hatred and bulling, when is society going to realize that everyone has value as a human being! 
As babies we are born unbiased to everything.   So where do we learn to hate some one that is different from us?   Is it from TV, religion, scouting programs, teachers in our schools or parents?  How does society determine that being LGBT is any more unacceptable then being different in any other ways?  Who are the people that make the decisions of what is normal in our society? 
The last few weeks I had the opportunity to get to know two really cool moms while I was working up north.  What I really liked is that they unconditionally accepted their children for who they are.  In a very difficult time of major change in their lives, these moms’s chose to stick by daughters and support them 100%.  Because both of those moms chose to accept their daughters early on in their changes, the relationships have just blossomed into a close bond that every mother and daughter longs for.   This gives me hope that maybe someday my mom might be able to accept me as her daughter.  But more importantly it made me think about my relationship with our two daughters. I want them to know that we will be supportive of them even if they are different from what society thinks they should be.   I also want them to be accepting with everyone that they may interact with as well.  My hopes are that this next generation can put the stop to all the hatred out in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment