Sunday, February 3, 2013

Poems of change

Tina and I went to a writing seminar by Ray McGinnis on writing through grief at Holy Covenant UCC.  We have only attended 3 services so far be we feel very at home there.  I have attended many churches but by far this is the most friendly one I have every attended.

Tina, myself and Brenna thought that it would be a cool thing to do together as well as a way to meet people at the church.  I also thought I might be able to take away some ideas to help me write a little better.

One of the exercises that we had to do was do a alphabet poem.

I found it interesting that Tina and I would have chose the same topic to write about.  
We shared  them in small groups, and one of the ladies said that what we wrote was reminded her of wedding vows for each other.

This is what we wrote:



The Alphabet of Changes
By Brynne Soukup

 A few changes I have made from
Brian to Brynne the
Changes have been hard and
Difficult
Eventually I have
Found the
Great Joy in my
Heart of who
I am now. The
Journey almost
Killed our
Long
Marriage.
Now
Our relationship though is stronger than ever!
People often
Question why Tina would stay in the
Relationship.  I know
She
Truly loves me and is dedicated to me
Until death do us part.  I
Very much
Want her to know
eXactly how much I love her the same way too!
Yesterdays love and hurt is gone, but there is future love to come!  Our lives may be
 craZy at times but we have our love to share ALWAYS.


Alphabet  Poem

By Tina Soukup

Although it’s
Been 2 years since the transition I still mourn the loss of my Brian.  We met and fell in love at
College in 1991 and then in 1992
Decided to get married.  Actually, we
Eloped.  That really blew the minds of
Family members!  I never would have
Guessed at the time that Brian was transgender.
He was always the “manly man”; hiking, fishing, working
In his uncles tire shop.  I
Just sometimes feel betrayed. I married a man.  I wanted someone to have children with and
Keep us safe.  I still love the person I married.  But the
Loss of
My husband still saddens me.   I can
Now understand and see how I missed the
Obvious signs early in our relationship.  Some
People don’t understand why I stay.  I’ve never
Questioned my love for the person inside.  I
Respect and
Stand beside my soul mate.  We have
Two beautiful daughters to show for devotion to each other.   But I don’t think I’ll ever
Understand why Brian didn’t
Voice his true feelings to me
When we got serious as a couple.  I would like to
examine those thoughts and
whY Brian didn’t feel secure enough to tell me.  It should be black and white like a
Zebra’s stripes.




No comments:

Post a Comment